Monday, August 8, 2011

WIP: 1/144 NG Leo Type IV Custom (Part 1)

I'm a bad blogger.  There, I said it.

I've finally started my Leo/Tallgeese mashup project last week, but this update's been postponed by unforeseen circumstances as well as my own stagnation.  It's not just that I've grown used to planning my project instead of actually getting it off the ground, but that the tasks involved are easier said than done.  Here's what I mean.


Starting with Leo, I took the back half of the torso and trimmed the pegs with my knife.  That way, when I test-build parts it's easier to separate them.


Next, going by the pic of Leo Type IV, I cut a hole in the back of Leo's head (Left) and drilled another hole behind the front of the head (Right) in order to insert Tallgeese's headcrest (Above).  However, the drill I used was too small AND the hole's close enough to open up on the other end.


My next idea was to combine Leo and Tallgeese's torsos to provide waist movement for the finished product.  I would start by cutting Leo's skirt armor off its torso, keeping my tools steady with either pegs (Left) or Dymo label tape (Right), the latter of which doesn't work too well in this case . . .


. . . As you can see with the part on the left.  I remind the reader that Limited Model kits like Leo are much thicker than regular Gunpla; even my new dual-bladed hobby saw (Below) can barely cut it (pardon the pun).  Fortunately, I've also got a new tube of putty (Top) for [much needed] repairs.

That's it for Part 1.  Join me for "Part 1 1/2," when I continue to saw Leo's skirts off.  Will I finish the job by this weekend?  Will I be able to post new blogs on a weekly basis?  Will I ever find the perfect push drill?  Find out in the next exciting entry in the Gunpla Kit n' Kaboodle!  Until next time, are you building Gunpla yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment