Wednesday, November 16, 2011

WIP: 1/144 NG G Gundam (Part 1)

Here are pics of the results that I'm stuck with till the weekend:


First there was the matter of how to build and color the all-red shoulder armor and feet.


I started by painting the inside of the armor before applying cement to both halves of each foot and clamping them together.


Because the pegs on the shoulders are much bigger, I decided not to trim the sockets in the armor like with Tallgeese.  Instead, I fully assembled the shoulders before applying contour putty on the seams of the armor.  I also masked the shoulders with tape for priming.



To prime certain areas on the chest, I used tape on only 2 areas and covered the rest in masking solution.  But too much curing time made the solution harder to remove, so I would switch back to tape.  I would also fill in the seams of unmasked areas.



Here I'm holding the unused portions of a runner over the kitchen sink to try out a method I learned from Hobbylink Japan's Gunpla TV segment.  In one of their videos, the host dips a paper towel in a dish of soapy water and passes it along a runner of parts before rinsing them with running water.  This would enable paint to better stick to parts without priming.  Taking it a step further, I scrubbed the parts shown with a soapy sponge .  After rinsing the runner I would leave it on a towel to dry overnight.

That's pretty much it for now; I should have a more substantial report by next Sunday.  In the meantime, I've just opened a new page on Twitter, The G2K, where I'll be posting up-to-the-minute tweets on my Gunpla projects, purchases and mishaps.  You can also check my Facebook page for my next work-in-progress.  Until then, I'm gonna watch Episode 4 of Gundam Unicorn again!