Monday, November 7, 2011

WIP: SD G-Gundam (Part 3)

Once again, my completion of the first-edition SD God Gundam has been delayed.  But I have 2 legitimate excuses.  The first is that like many, I'm playing the beta version of the SD Gundam Capsule Fighter online game.  Actually, since its release last Tuesday, I've spent most of the time installing the game, uninstalling it, reinstalling it, freeing up disk space, playing co-op's and deathmatches, sitting through the hour-long delays in between, buying new MS and power-up's, trying and failing to enter quests, and complaining about the consistent lag on my end.  At the very least I got some work done last weekend.


The yellow spikes that go on the forearm guards had holes underneath, so I filled those up with putty and sanded them before painting them.  While I was at it, I also painted the kit's second detachable chestpiece.

Once the spikes dried, I decided to combine the kit's main parts so . . .

Let's go, Gundam Force!

Form feet and . . . oh.

Form arms and torso!


I'll form the head!






Here's where my second excuse for the delay comes in.


Featured with the other runners shown in the first WIP, this has a spare arm and hand for God Gundam's Bakunetsu God Finger (Erupting Burning Finger in G Gundam's English dub).  The parts that were snipped off were the 'core' for the chestpiece (1st pic) and the cockpit for the Core Lander.


As you can see, both parts are hollow, a common drawback to the SD kits of the 90's.  Can't have that.


So I filled in the hand and arm with Testors' contour putty and Tamiya's basic putty respectively.  At the time, the Tamiya putty squeezed out the wrong end of the tube and I threw it away.  I had it since '06 at least, but it was a week later after I discovered that the putty had caused the arm to melt.  And I wound up squeezing it out of shape while sanding!  Until I can fix the arm, I'm not sure if I'll go ahead with reviewing the kit cuz God Gundam without the God Finger is like Superman without the S.  But I've started working on the 1/144 NG God Gundam so expect that in my next post.  Until then, I'm off to the beta battlefield.

2 comments:

  1. Tamiya's basic grey putty isn't for filling in large areas. One of it's core ingredients is basically modeling cement, which is why you can thin it out with Tamiya liquid cement. It melts plastic to help cover and fill seam lines. Epoxy would have been a much better choice. Your arm isn't completely ruined. I'm sure with a little work you'll be able to fix it. Good to see you posting again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Originally I was gonna cover the holes with pieces from a For Rent sign but figured I could wait it out with the putty. Looks like I'll be using that sign after all.

    ReplyDelete